If there is any time to pray for revival in our day, then it is now. Events happening in the church and in the world at large point to this fact/truth.
Today, many still go to church only because the church is built on Jesus Christ and his blood.
The church has become unattractive to many. The church has lost its voice in the land due to compromise.
It is due to these that the church must rise up and call on God to revive his works in our day once again
II- In Habakkuk's day, much evil was going on which he could not bear. Wickedness was ruling and the wicked had much advantage over the righteous.
It also appeared that God kept silent and was watching the wicked to oppress the righteous. Habakkuk called God in prayer for a long time for his intervention so that the wicked would be judged
III(a) - The word "Revival" can be defined as "an instance of something becoming popular, active or important again.
(b) Revival is also a special out-pouring of God's blessing when his people are spiritually renewed and many others are converted into the Kingdom of God.
(c) - Again, Revival is increased spiritual interest or renewal in the life of a church, congregation or society, with a local, national or global effect.
- Revivals occur at personal, local, national or global levels.
IV - Some examples of revival in the history of the church
a) The coming of the Holy Spirit on the day of Pentecost in Jerusalem. b) The great awakening that impacted English colonies in America during 1730's and 1740's. This movement came at a time when the idea of secular rationalism was being emphasized and passion for religion had grown stale. c) Azusa Street revival - In 1906 which birthed the current wave of Pentecostalism including the Assemblies of God Church worldwide. It was characterized by Holy Spirit baptism with the evidence of speaking in other tounges, miracles and other spiritual experiences.
V - Just as it was in the time of Habakkuk where the wicked oppressed the righteous, so it is becoming in our time. Just as it was before the Great awakening in America where the passion for Christianity had grown stale and people were no longer interested in church activities, so it is today.
Look at the attendance to our evening/ midweek services, the numbers have gone down considerably. Before the Azusa street revival which birthed A/G, I have read how certain people prayed 4-5 hours daily for God to bring revival. This took so many years before it happened.
- People of God, let's rise up and pray seriously for God to send down revival so that peoples interest in the things will be awakened once again.
B(I) - The following are key signs that the church needs revival. (By Charles Finney)
1. A lack of Christian love- When there is a want of brotherly love among believers and christians have sunk into a low backslidden state, and the love for Christ and our fellow christian is gone.
2. Divisions- When there is dissentions, jealousies, evil speakings among believers, pastors and even bible scholars.
3. Worldliness- The presence of worldly Spirit in the church, when the church is sunk down into a low and backslidden state, when christians conform to the world in dressing and general lifestyle.
4. Scandals- When the church finds its members falling into state of gross and scandalous sins, doing things the world does and we are comfortable in it, then it is the time for the church to awake and cry to God for revival and for him to repeat his awesome deeds in our time.
Scandals - an action or event regarded as morally or legally wrong and causing public outrage
5. Controversy - Public disagreement with two sides openly debating - When the spirit of controversy is in the church or in the land, then we need revival
6. The triumph of wickedness- when the wicked triumph over the church and revile (criticize in an abusive or angrily insulting manner) the church
7. The death of unsaved- When sinners are careless and sink into hell unconcerned, the church must rise up to pray for revival to stir up the interest in soul winning one again.
Benefits/ Rewards of Revival Revivals restore the church to a vital and feverent relationship with God after a period of moral decline.
Revival happens when God's people are prepared for it with tender hearts and humble spirits
It is when God's work to bring revival, not men's work
Revival often begins with people coming under deep conviction and crying out in confession and repentance for their sin.
Application: People of God; - You need revival - I need revival - The church need revival - The economy of Ghana need revival - The church universal need revival
- Today, things are so slow. It is as if God is not answering prayers as we expect - Prophecies are not being fulfilled as expected - Hope keeps on getting differed - The expectations of the righteous keep delaying - Evil seems to be triumphing
Please, let's all arise and pray
My father in Heaven; 1. I need revival, revive me 2. Revive every member of my family 3. Revive ever member of D.A.G. 4. Revive the church in Ghana 5. Revive the church Universal
To leave or reply to comments, please download free Podbean or
To leave or reply to comments, please download free Podbean App.